Friday 11 January 2013

One Down, One Hundred to Go

So, my hawks and doves, I have completed one of the many items on my List.

Attending a burlesque class was number 80 on my list, and it was achieved, finally, today!

MotH is the source behind my wanting to try it. Until he brought me along to a show at La Cheetah, I had never seen it before. People can debate back and forth about burlesque vs stripping, and does it matter, really? No. I think there's a different mood with burlesque. It's cheeky, teasing, makes me want to giggle. There's a light-heartedness about it, even though it is an exacting dance form :)

Ash McTease runs Show Girl Sessions in Glasgow, and I was fortunate enough to find a voucher from one of the many voucher/discount sites available for 8 classes here. I tried my first one today, Burlesque Combo.

I had misgivings to start with. Primarily because I've developed a nasty chesty cough which is causing me to wheeze rather un-gracefully and un-sexily every so often. Is it really sensible to be doing a dance class when one is unwell? But I got there eventually and donned my heels and gloves and off we went! Exercising in heels is murder on the thighs, by the way, just sayin'! :P

There was a warm up (chairs were involved) and we worked through a dance routine. I felt awesome. Tired and sweaty, but awesome! I wanted to use my voucher on different classes as well, so I'm trying a Bollywood class next week, along with Burlesque Bombshell and Glamourcise. I think by this time next week I may be very, very sore :P But I will have had a lot of fun! Honestly, it's one of the best things I've done for myself in a long time. I didn't even really feel self-conscious. There were women of various ages and bodyshapes there, I didn't feel threatened or insecure, and it was nice, and it was FUN!

As I left the venue I overheard a couple of the other girls say they were going to cancel their gym memberships. On the subway back I saw a poster for a gym here in Glasgow, with a typical January promotion blaring across it. “Why tread-the-mill when you can dance?” My inner voice (one of a few, I admit) said to me. I'm inclined to agree with this particular voice. It usually errs on the side of delightfulness. This may explain my addiction to choux pastry as well, hehe.

I will end this blog with a note of thanks to MotH. I am never really that awake in the mornings, but this morning I had forgotten that my keys may had slid OUT of their usual spot in my bag and ended up on the floor when I came home from work yesterday. Meaning that when I came home this evening, I was utterly without keys. Unfortunately for me MotH was ALSO out today, to a sort of “battle of the bands” event in the city centre. This he very obligingly left (temporarily) to come and let me in to my house (so I could eat my pastry, mmmm). He didn't have to, I left my keys so really I should have gone back in to town to meet him, but he came to my aid without batting an eyelid. Chivalry is not dead, not by a long shot!




No comments:

Post a Comment