Saturday 3 May 2014

Back Up for Air

She's Alive!

Once again apologies for the long break, convalescing post-surgery and then going back to work proved to be a bit of a drain on my energy levels. It wasn't for the lack of doing interesting things though!

I believe that healing is in the mind as well as in the body, so I made myself go in to town and see some things that my normal work schedule otherwise wouldn't allow. I went to the Gallery of Modern Art (affectionately known as GoMA here), during the end of their Living with War exhibit. This featured works by various artists, spanning the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. It was quite moving and I'm really glad I was able to go. Obviously I didn't take pictures of the art, because that would have been less than popular, but I did snap some photos of the GoMA itself, which is also lovely!

Lovely Glass Dome
A view from the Top!





















I also went to a talk on Seeing God in Japanese Traditions, which was held by St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art as part of a wider "Seeing God in... " series. I didn't get round to seeing any of the other talks, but Japanese spiritual life is a topic I know very little about, yet it seems so important to the culture. The talk was really lovely and informative, and the speaker was kind enough to email me with some suggestions for further reading. 

Sometimes when I wait for my train home from work I am struck at how lovely Glasgow Central Station really is, architecturally speaking, when you strip away all the fast food restaurants and newspaper shops. In my imagination I try to envision how it must have looked like when it opened in 1879. 


It's the lovely metal frame and glass roof, it's really quite iconic. The other large station in Glasgow, at Queen Street, has similar features inside, but not nearly on the same scale. Until I moved to Glasgow, I had no cause to see Central Station, as the fastest trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh run from Queen Street Station. I still remember telling MoTH "Why didn't you tell me Central Station was so beautiful?!" when I first saw it. If I told any resident "weegies" that I think Central is so lovely, they'd look at me as if I were daft, but sometimes it's all about looking up and seeing it as a construction marvel. The people in the station and on the trains, however, are another matter. As much as I like public transport, I have a great dislike of some of my fellow travellers. 

BBC Radio 2 recently had a mini debate about the eating of food on public transport. Hot and smelly food in particular. Apparently people are taking to snapping photos of the "offenders" and publishing these photos on facebook. You know, because apparently the smell of an egg sandwich can ruin someone's entire day! Boo hoo. If that is your greatest trouble in life, I hope you get reincarnated as a worker in a sandwich factory. If people are still getting limbs blown off by landmines, the rest of us don't get to complain about a smelly sandwich. Don't get me wrong, I get annoyed by a lot of things. Do I feel so strongly about it that I have to shame individuals on social media for mildly irritating me? No. There are bigger fish to fry in the world.

In early April MoTH and I had the opportunity to go see my parents in Norway! Yay! One of my mum's dogs had puppies back in February, so by the time we got there they were all fluffy and playful and adorable. It was very hard not to steal all of them, they just make you want to  love them forever!

Usually when I come back from Norway people ask me if I did much. And usually the answer is no. When I go home to visit my family, it's like when "normal" people go to their parents house for Sunday dinner. It's just that in my case it cost me a plane ticket and about half a day of travelling to get there, that's all. So it's not a "vacation" in the travel magazine sense of the word. On this occasion I did manage to snap a few shots of what they call "Salmon Stairs/Steps":





















The idea is that in the salmon mating season the salmon swim upriver back to where they were born, to spawn. These stairs are put in where there may be dams, waterfalls or other hindrances to the salmon getting where they need to go. It's a pretty cool design, and pretty as well!

MoTH also caught a photo from the very bottom of the "stairs", over the river itself:


I feel like I always take photos of home when it's all misty. I promise, the sun does shine there! A lot! I just think it looks so magical, mysterious and moody, hehe. 

And now, because they are too cute to leave out: PUPPIES!


Okay, so they are asleep, but just look at them! Don't they just make you want to bundle them up and cuddle them forever? They are obviously all a bit older now, and have found loving homes, none of them with me, unfortunately. Ah, one day!

And then of course, the inevitable yearly event, my birthday! And MoTH had his the day after! We both had really great days. Actually, I think we had a really great week! Lots of well wishes, lovely and thoughtful gifts, nights out and just an overall fantastic time. MoTH got me this mug as one of my presents, and I have to say it feels like someone drew me as a pony. A disapproving, chubby (and AWESOME) pony.  I love it (because deep down I'm really a Unicorn, the fat pony is just a cover!)! 


Get Your Own! From TopatoCo

And with that, I feel I should conclude my return to blogginess! I hope to have fun and exciting news for you all soon! In the mean time, take care and enjoy the rest of your weekends (did I mention that I have Monday and Tuesday off too? hahahahaha!)!

XOXO, 

Miss Sophie


No comments:

Post a Comment